08 October, 2013

by Unknown | Filed Under : , ,
Artist Unknown
In reflection of my path change from Witchcraft to Pentecostal Conjure, I was blessed to chat with several individuals on Facebook who follow similar paths as Christian Conjurers, and one in particular, that I'm aware of that follows Pentecostal Conjure in particular.

As discussions have went on, I've began pondering traditions in general.

So what are some traditions that I remember and still uphold?

Prayer Boxes. My mama always had a prayer box in the house. It was an empty butter bowl with a lid that she cut a hole in and wrapped in aluminum foil. She would take plain paper and write the request on it and anoint it with oil and then stick it inside the prayer box. We were always instructed to never read nor open the box. Many churches I went to had an actual box, but I'll always remember my mama's.

Speaking in Tongues. "Helabo, shuntai, baba!" Those are real words that I've spoken in tongues and have since I was given this beautiful gift of the Holy Ghost. They don't necessarily fall in that order, and I have no understanding of their meanings. In fact, this is a form of possession when the Holy Ghost envelops the "believer" and begins praying through that person's spirit with languages/words that cannot be uttered on a human level and carry the same power, in the Pentecostal understanding.

Dancing in the Spirit. "Praise Breaks", "Ring Shouts", and many other names have coined the practice where we "dance like David" in the Presence of God. This, too, can be seen as a form of possession, but is more of an ecstatic/joyous moment in which the individual becomes so enveloped in God's love and joy that the person dances or spins in His Presence.

Being Slain in the Spirit. Prostrate or supine, this act is when one has become so overwhelmed/overpowered by the Power of God/Holy Ghost that the physical body can no longer withstand the spiritual atmosphere. The person then falls to the ground or onto the pew/chair and is "knocked out" until the physical body can recover. Visions and communication with God occurs within this state. If that happens during this state, then the person's spirit will remain in God's presence until such has been completed and the person's spirit can return back to their body. Thus, being "carried away by the Spirit."

Laying on of Hands. Whether it be due to sickness, possession, the gift of the Holy Ghost, or other physical or spiritual needs, "elders" will lay their hands on the person requesting prayer. Normally, it is done with the hands on the head, but I have seen hands on hands, hands on stomach, hands on back, and many other body parts but never anything inappropriate. This is used with Anointing Oil (100% Olive Oil that has been prayed over, especially in tongues) and is believed to allow the presence of God to come to the person being prayed for according to their faith. Miracles are believed to occur as a result of this practice.

I could go on, but more of these things I cherish closely and don't just talk about unless moved upon by the Spirit to do so. These are things I've shared with others in the past few days, some I have not.

This, my friends, is a taste of what Pentecostal Conjure is all about.

1 comments:

Rob Chapman said...

This is a great article, I have tremendous respect for doing things the way they were meant to be done, and American traditions like this (and powwow, as well) have been so taken over by new age thinking that I find it very refreshing to read your blog!!! Well done!